Since this thread is still the top result returned if you search d.a.c for
"gamepad," I thought I'd make a quick update. USB gamepads are supported on
Android 3.1 and above via new additions to android.view.InputDevice.
InputDevice can now report input events for analog axes, and there are some
new digital button definitions as well.

Even though gamepads are supported in the OS, not all devices support
connecting a gamepad. Your device needs to support USB host mode in order
for the gamepad to work properly.