I'd like to extend that question.

I have done some testing now. I have completly dropped the
BroadcastReceiver (waiting for Boot completed) from my Manifest. But
after rebooting I can see the "myapp" thread being up again and I'm
getting the "not responding" message. And this happens with NO
broadcast receiver at all. Even when my application is not running
(killed it completly) after a reboot it gets started somehow. (thread
is up and not responding message) But my background service is not
started (which I can see from the logs).

I am totally confused now. What could result in a automatic start of
my application? (with no Broadcast receiver registered)

I'm really really looking forward reading your messages because this
all doesn't make any sense to me.