To build separate APKs while maintaining a more-or-less common code base, look into using an Android Library project:

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/projects/index.html

Market lets you upload multiple APKs for the same package name, targeting distinct API levels or screen sizes. I'd recomment the latter, given that Android 4.0 supports both phone class and tablet class devices.

All of those are presented to the user as a single application, so I don't think you'd be able to charge just for the tablet version - unless you used in-app billing.

Alternatively, you could give the tablet version its own package name, essentially creating a separate paid app.

-- K