I'm trying to write a service that starts an activity and then does
something with data the activity receives from the user. I want to
wait for the activity to signal it has gotten the data from the user
but when I do any sort of waiting within the function that starts the
activity, the activity doesn't start. The following is just sample
code to help show what I want:

public void foo() {
    Thread t = new Thread() {
        public void run() {
            startActivity(intent);
            while(activityNotdone){}
        }
    }
    t.start();

    t.join();
    bar();
}

Doing this, the activity will never start. If I remove the while call,
the activity will start, but then bar runs before the activity has
gotten a response from the user. Any suggestions?