I'm sorry that I cannot afford to sell to the only 1% of the Android Market
using ICS. I already have 6 apps that are not selling, but I digress...

After further work I've discovered that allocateDirect is consuming exactly
65636 bytes for every vertexBuffer that is created (again, on the tablet,
but not on the phones).  Can anybody that has some understanding of how
Java memory works please give me a hint of what might be going on so I can
find a workaround for it?