Hello,

I'm just learning Android and I need a search bar in ActionBarCompat
instead of the provided TextView. I had some failed attempts to do
that, but now I don't know what to do, so I'm asking you guys: What is
the approach to customize the ActionBar with a brand new EditText
instead of that TextView, having in the same time access to that
EditText from the MainActivity?

Short description of one of my failed attempts:

I have tried to define an EditText in the layout/actionbar_compat.xml
file and included this layout in the layout/main.xml file, and in this
way I had access to the EditText from the MainActivity (with
findViewById), but the problem was that there were 2 EditTexts.

Can you help me out with this, guys? Thanks!