> Ok, I did not realize that. I had made the assumption that they were all
> DB-based.

Some will be, but I'm under the impression that ContentProvider was
specifically designed not to force it. For example, some people are using
ContentProvider to serve static Web content to a WebView, which IMHO
doesn't fit a database pattern terribly well.

> Anyway, I guess I will have to figure out some other way, then. If anyone
> has any suggestions, I welcome them :)

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh in my previous response.

Given time and effort, you could:

-- Design a way for ContentProviders to support OPTIONAL additional
interfaces that provide some of the hooks you seek

-- Modify the built-in ContentProviders to support those interfaces

-- Submit both as patches to Android and hope they are approved

However, the keys are "time", "effort", "OPTIONAL", and "approved", none
of which might line up with your near-term objectives...

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com