I quite agree. I just found this post after weeks of trying to get to
bottom of an issue with my app, and it's exactly the same cause. What
a huge waste of time (not to mention the refunds and cancelled
orders).

There are far more Android handsets in the hands of normal users than
developers, so exposing options like this to all comers is simply
asking for trouble.

(BTW, this option breaks some of Google's own apps: e.g. MyTracks
stops displaying overlays at higher zoom levels.)

Stephen