Ok first things first.
1) As I develop, always use try/catch on these kind of operations, so they
only show warnings, but wouldn't force-quit program.
2) Try putting a number only format in youre EditText. (I dont remember
correctly but that's android:inputType:"number" or
android:inputMethod:"number". That will prevent user from entering symbols,
only numbers.
3) Try parsing options, here is a nice and simple examples to start to.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~hasti/cs302/examples/Parsing/parseString.html
Have fun :)