I have written Android apps in both Java and in C# using Mono.

For my own personal apps I use Java.  At my job we are developing an
Android app and are required to use Mono for Android so that we can make
use of some rather extensive existing code.

Unless there is a valid reason, like at my job, I would highly recommend
just sucking it up and learning Java.  As TreKing mentioned, syntax is very
similar and there are only relatively minor differences between the two.

Also, as he mentioned, any competent programmer should be able to learn a
new language relatively easy... Plus, it helps boost your resume to know
more languages.  As for me, I would consider myself pretty proficient in
C++, Java, C#, PHP,  and Javascript... I think it looks pretty good on a
resume.  It keeps you well-rounded.

Also, I am using MonoDevelop on a Mac to use Mono for Android... I tried
using VS but found that the experience with using VS to develop apps with
Mono for Android was very bad... MonoDevelop is also available for Windows
if you are a Windows guy.  But since that product is made by Xamarin there
is much more support there for it.

Also, when deploying an app with Mono for Android, you can only use the
emulator unless you purchase a license, so you aren't going to get very far
unless you want to fork out some money.

Another downside is that Mono for Android apps are using the Dalvik VM to
run another VM for the C# code so you are going through two virtual
machines.  And currently there isn't support for the compatibility library
right now (though I have been told that the next release will support it).

Hope that helps...

Thanks,
Justin Anderson
MagouyaWare Developer