isnt' there any method to control the android default music player other
than using the IMediaPlaybackService?
Do comment if any...

I tired with it and the functions in the IMediaPlaybackService like
prev()/seek() etc were not working( both in Froyo2.2 and ICS 4.0.3).
Then tried with  a custom built ICS whose service access to the public has
been changed from
<service android:name="com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService"
            android:exported="false" /> to
<service android:name="com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService"
            android:exported="true" />

Successfully worked....

But i need to work my application in all android OS and so I am searching
for an alternative method to control the android default music player.