I have a service that obtains and stores sample data from a web service. It is triggered by alarms, gets a sample which may or may not be new, stores it in my DB.

At that point, if a new sample was added, and the activity that lists the samples is active, I want to notify it to refresh the cursor to include the new sample. If the activity isn't running, I don't care because it will be fine when it launches. If I set up a receiver and send a broadcast won't the broadcast cause it to launch if the activity isn't running? That is behavior that I don't want.

This isn't really a show stopper, but I would appreciate any strategy ideas you might have in making this happen in a reasonable amount of effort.