This long thread brings up a good point:

Free apps aren't really free.  You are implicitly paying for the app
using the internet by its use of ads.  A number of articles recently
touch on this, but I'm not sure if any of them have been really
published yet, if you'd like me to keep you informed I can certainly
try to do so.

There are a number of ways to detect if apps use ads, but the problem
is fundamentally with what your definition of "ads" is.  If you mean,
does the app use AdMob / MobiClix / etc..., then yes, it's easy to
take an off the shelf system and check if those classes are being used
in an app.  You can also perform dynamic analysis and look at the set
of domains that an app accesses, and probably infer which ones are
being used for ads.  An ad could be something as simple as a bit of
text someone pays you to put in your app (statically), and if this is
the case there's probably no simple way of knowing if an app uses ads.
 One of our papers (for full disclosure I'm one of the authors)
considers a permissions model where we allow an 'ads' permission [1],
but the analysis is simply based on AdMob (and other types of
advertiser libraries).

Kris

[1] Dr. Android and Mr. Hide: Fine-grained security policies on
unmodified Android, http://www.cs.umd.edu/~jfoster/papers/acplib.pdf