I guess you need to find out which intent is used for starting Google
Places. I doubt that this will be documented officially. What you can
do is, connect your phone to your development environment, start
Google Places and then in the LogCat try to find out which intent was
used. Beware that you resort to such an approach on your own risk
(e.g. you are not using an officially documented interface).