A bit of a followup:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/SystemClock.html

Note that SendDelayed relies on uptimeMillis(), as described below:

uptimeMillis()<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/SystemClock.html#uptimeMillis()>
 is
counted in milliseconds since the system was booted. This clock stops when
the system enters deep sleep (CPU off, display dark, device waiting for
external input), but is not affected by clock scaling, idle, or other power
saving mechanisms. This is the basis for most interval timing such as
Thread.sleep(millls)<http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Thread.html#sleep(long)>
,Object.wait(millis)<http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Object.html#wait(long)>,

and
System.nanoTime()<http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/System.html#nanoTime()>.

This clock is guaranteed to be monotonic, and is the recommended basis for
the general purpose interval timing of user interface events, performance
measurements, *and anything else that does not need to measure elapsed time
during device sleep*. Most methods that accept a timestamp value expect the
uptimeMillis()<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/SystemClock.html#uptimeMillis()>
 clock.