So I've built a test suite that automatically grabs all testcases and runs
them.

The first chunk of tests I wrote were for AndroidTestCase, and just tested
simple algorithms and shared functionality (non ui, Activity in-specific).

I came along and built a ActivityInstrumentationTestCase2, that happens to
test the first activity of the app.

When run alone, all my AndroidTestCase tests run just fine, and likewise
when running my ActivityInstrumentationTestCase, they run as expected. When
I run all tests for the test project, it appears as if testrunner hangs
trying to run my activityinstrumentaiton test cases. (APPEARS to be in the
call to getActivity() in setUp()).

This as you might guess is terribly inconvenient. I was wondering if anyone
has encountered it, and if so, any solutions out there?

I saw a post here about making sure to .finish() the activity in
tearDown(), but as I only have one activity instrumentation test case, the
.finish() didnt appear to have any effect on it whatsoever. Because
getActivity() is called in setUp(), setting timeouts etc for the test
themselves dont really seem to do much of anything.