If you click on home button from your application your in the activity which is
in foreground onStop() method is called. When from long press on home button or
recent button you go back to the activity onRestart() and then onStart() is
called.

If you close the app (using the back button) and start the app from the long
press on the home button or recent button it will go to onCreate().

If you want to avoid registering and unregistering the user when the user
clicks on the home button from activity you should place the code for
registering in OnCreate and unregistering in onDestroy.

I hope that it helped

Sent from my iPad