So I am trying extend the base android.app.Application class and add member
variables to create global variables like in this first solution of the
link below.

Android global
variable<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1944656/android-global-variable>

This works if the member variable is a simple data type like a String. But
how would you do it for a more complex data type? In my case i would like
the member variable to be of type HashMap.

I am setting the member variable in onActivityResult(), and i am trying to
access this member variable in the onClick() method of a button's
onClickListener. When i access the String variable it's value is set
appropriately. However when i access the HashMap variable its value is set
to '{}', an empty HashMap.