(re-sending ... when I sent this before, the list was down due to having
exceeded its maximum number of recipients ... something I've never heard
of any e-mail list doing...and I've been around Listservs and other list
varieties for decades....)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 03:20:31PM -0700, Massycat wrote:

> > Perhaps there's some method of processing the photo and filter bitmaps in
> > chunks in a way I'm not aware of?  Something that doesn't eventually end
> > up right back at an eventual out of memory error?  Or some other method?

>  Have a look at BitmapRegionDecoder
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/graphics/BitmapRegionDecoder.html
>  which should allow you to load a region of an image, process it and
>  save the result without loading the entire image into memory.

Thanks.  That should be a BIG help.

> It is available in API level 10 and above.

Ouch.  Oh well, I doubt many Froyo phones have more than a 3 MP camera,
anyways.  Of course, they also probably (based on my phone) have a lot
less memory, too.  :-(

Thanks, either way---it WILL be useful.
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >

                "sigh, once upon a time T-1 was fast...."
                           --seen in alt.sysadmin.net-abuse.email

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html