>> No I am not sure, but what do I do about it if so?  The device does not
> seem asleep, and the screen hasn't dimmed, but that doesn't mean the device
> won't get lazy about network connections. The wifi disconnect policy is set
> to never, but I know Android can ignore that.

Ok it is very unlikely the network is disconnected then. Assuming you use
WiFi, you might want ot use a WiFi lock for testing purpose.
Also I would recommend to use the latest Apache HttpClient / HttpCore
available, repackage it with jarjar and use that instead of the very old
and buggy and unmaintainted
Android httpclient platform classes.