I am creating an app that sends various HTTP requests in seperate threads,
while doing so brings up a loading screen. If the network request is taking
longer then the user expects, I want them to be able to press the back
button to force quit the thread, and dismiss the loading screen.
I have my thread set up as:

dataThread = new Thread(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
//...
//Networking Data and Handlers
//...
}
});
dataThread.start();

and where I want to force quit at onBackPressed() I have tried:

dataThread.stop();
dataThread.destroy();
dataThread.interrupt();

And none of them work, Android does not support stop(), or destroy(), and
interrupt() does nothing to stop the thread. I do not care about exceptions
as everything will be caught, I just want it to allow the user to resume
doing what they want, if it hangs on requests, or even retry the request..

~Matt