On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:11:36AM -0400, Mark Murphy wrote:
> Create a separate little project that accesses PorterDuff.Mode.ADD.
> Run it on the phone. If it crashes the same way, and particularly
> given your comment regarding external storage, your phone may be
> messed up, somehow. If it does not crash the same way, then you have a
> stake in the ground, around which you can start analyzing what is
> different between the projects.

I was thinking about doing that...I should have.  Ok, here's what
happened, in sequence:

   1) I changed the example from Pro Android Media
      (Ch03 / Choose Picture - Composite) to use ADD instead of
      MULTIPLY.  This project is built for Android 2.2, period.

   2) Eclipse griped...no such mode.  Change to .....
   3) So I added the two imports that Eclipse whined about not
      being used in my app:  android.graphics.PorterDuff, and
      a.g.P.Mode.  Suddenly ADD is supported (and this is ALL
      documented in the developers guide as being supported
      since API level 1, with the 3 imports---the previous 2,
      plus android.graphics.PorterDuffXferMode)
   4) Eclipse shut up, and built the APK.
   5) It works.

But here comes the mystery again:  the example from the book is what
I built my code from...different variables, ADD instead of MULTIPLY,
but otherwise the same few lines of code.

Hmmm....  PorterDuffXferMode does NOT have ADD, whereas the other two
do.  The error I'm getting is listed as only happening when you have
(I forget the exact wording, but basically, conflicting classes).   Or
not.  I was thinking PorterDuffXferMode conflicted with the other two,
but without it, the user of PorterDuffXferMode is an error.

Sigh.  :-(
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html