I see no one has answered this post, so I'll ask a different question
- if I write the code to reproduce this (buggy) behavior, will any
engineer at Google who's on this list take a look at it and tell me
whether locking a portion of a canvas works or not, so I can at least
stop trying to do this (otherwise quite important) optimization?

Cheers,
Stoyan