I'm not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do. If the
user pauses an activity by pressing the home button, you shouldn't
bring the application to the foreground again. The user can just press
the application icon in the launcher and the app will be brought to
the foreground again (going through the usual lifecycle callbacks so
you get a chance to restore state, depending on how your app is
configured).

If you have an application that does something in the background,
reacts to an event, and then wants to be in the foreground again, you
should consider splitting your application into two parts, the
background task as a service, and the UI as an application. Based on
an event in the service launch the UI app as an intent.

Michael