Hello,

I'm not sure if I correctly understand the application life cycle and
would like to consult the architecture of my application with the
group.

My application is intended to perform some time consuming (about 30
seconds) operation from time to time. The operation can be either
invoked by the end-user (from app UI) or by some system event (through
receiver). The operation should be performed in background but its
current status should be visible on the application window. One
operation can be performed at one time. They should not overlap. If
new events which invoke the operation occur when the operation is
already running, the new operation should start after the running one
ends.

My current package consists of following elements:
The Service - the whole operation is performed in onStart()
2 receivers which just launch the service by calling startService()
The Activity which is about to display a status and from which the end-
user can start the service (via startService())

My questions are following:
Should the service run in separate process (via remote attribute)?
Will it be able to still share the preferences?
Or maybe the service can run in the same process? But will UI work
during the operation?
The operation does not need any parameters. Do I need to define IDL's
etc? Or calling startService() is enough?
What if startService() is called but the service is busy in onStart()?
Will the request be queued? Or should I run the operation in the
separate thread and create my own queue?
How to share the operation status (text only) between the service and
the UI? Is SharedPreferences suitable for this purpose?

Thanks

Kuba