There was a similar post to this but used an activity and I am using a
dialog.  This is real simple code and it works int he APIDemo (which
is where I pulled the code from to begin with).

The dialog display just fine with the correct number of radio buttons,
but the text for the buttons does not display UNLESS I press/select an
item.  Then once I let up on the selection it disapperas again...

what in the world am I not getting???

            return new AlertDialog.Builder(this)
            .setTitle(R.string.choose_location_in_list)
            .setSingleChoiceItems(R.array.select_add_location, 1, new
DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
                public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int
whichButton) {
                }
            })
            .setPositiveButton(R.string.add_to_favs, new
DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
                public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int
whichButton) {
                }
            })
            .setNegativeButton(R.string.cancel, new
DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
                public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int
whichButton) {
                }
            })
           .create();

my array looks like this,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <string-array name="select_add_location">
        <item>Add to Top</item>
        <item>Add to Bottom</item>
        <item>Add and Define</item>
    </string-array>