I tried as the same in the example defined here . but didn't get the
menu displayed .

did not work - i am not getting the conext menu at all after clicking
button .

OK. At this point I would recommend (for test purposes) you leave your existing project alone, start a new project with a new activity, add one button to the layout, and try adding the necessary code to add and show the context menu to the button. If it still doesn't work in a fresh project (which should be nice and small since it only has the one button and handler in it), then post your code here for us to look at.