I thought one of the core tenants of Android was that developers could
write, and end users could install, apps that replaced the default apps.
(Such as k9 and k9sms.)

Is this not, in fact, true? (And please don't try to claim that sms/mms
isn't a core feature of a mobile phone OS. And both of those projects are,
from the start, forks of the AOSP applications.)

Looking at the Android page (http://code.google.com/android/) I see:

*Any app on the mobile device can be replaced or extended -- even core
components such as the dialer or home.*

..the dialer has already been hashed over (at best, you can make
non-emergency calls, but you cannot in fact "replace or extend" the dialer
completely.) Are you now saying that the entire statement is false?