Right now, the answer is no. Most cameras require that you go to
preview mode before you can take a picture so that the image processor
can grab some frames for auto-focus, white balance, etc.

I'll see if we can get a change into Cupcake that allows you to start
preview without a surface. That should allow you to do what you want.
It will be some time though before this feature will appear on devices
in the field.

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that the camera eats a LOT
of power. You don't want to run it for long periods of time in
background. I forget what the power numbers are on the G1, but I bet
when if kept fully spun-up it will drain the battery in a couple of
hours.