It happens exclusively when I suddenly turn off the display when my
app is started again, i.e. the sequence is something like:

Activity.onStart() -> Activity.onResume() -> GLSurfaceView.onResume() -
> Activity.onPause() -> GLSurfaceView.onPause() -> "Surface is invalid
(no such device)" in log

An assumption: GlSurfaceView cannot be repainted because it's still
paused. In other words, it is tried to be repainted by the system when
the GLSurfaceView is already paused.

I guess this is the phenomena mentioned by Fredrik Lanker (Sony
Ericsson) in July 2011:
http://markmail.org/message/l7ffpanbpozs6nu7

The only difference is that my GLSurfaceView is paused for a different
reason (which is irrelevant).

Can I ignore it?