I want to read out the shortcuts' and widgets' position and name on the
screens of the launcher. Since every launcher is different, I will focus on
the stock launcher of Android for the moment. I have not found an API to do
this, so I am trying my luck with Java's Reflection API. So far I have been
able to get the class and read out the type of the variable holding the
items on the desktop called mDesktopItems:
http://grepcode.com/file/repository.grepcode.com/java/ext/com.google.android/android-apps/2.2.2_r1/com/android/launcher2/Launcher.java#201But
 to read out the variable's content, I need a reference to the launcher
activity object. It's obvious that this object does not have to exist, but
I can probably check regularly and once it does, I would fetch the data.

So how do I get a reference to the launcher activity object? Or could you
think of a better way of fetching the required data?