My understanding is that if you are logged in with your developer
account on your device then it will always show whatever the test
license status is from the server. If not and it's a draft (not yet
published) app, then it will always return LICENSED.

See
http://developer.android.com/guide/market/licensing/licensing-reference.html#server-response-codes
under LICENSED