Hello there!

 I had done the same, but a little different way.
 I found an xml library which was able to send messages to an
server( IP and Port). I had created another project (normal java) and
I had implemented there a server which was able to recive the android
clinet requests and communicate with MySql DB.
 After the development completed I had exported into a jar file the
server and just start it from a command line.

cheers,
Karoly