> Unless I missed something in the previous discussions, or there has
> been a breakthrough since, there is NO possible way to make the
> overflow button show up if there is a physical hardware key.

There is. With hack below you can force the appearance of the overflow menu
even if there is a physical button menu
with target SDK >= 14. Of course you must never use it since it is a
horrible hack, and nobody shall use hacks ever, especially on Android !

static public void setHasPermanentMenuKey(Context context, boolean value) {
        if (isICSOrLater()) {
            ViewConfiguration config = ViewConfiguration.get(context);
            try {
                Field f = ViewConfiguration.class
                        .getDeclaredField("sHasPermanentMenuKey");
                f.setAccessible(true);
                if (f != null) {
                    f.set(config, value);
                    log.info("Successfully hacked permanent menu key");
                }
            } catch (Exception ex) {
                log.info("Unable to hack permanent menu key: " + ex);
            }
        }
    }