I remember seeing this in one of my apps in certain cases.

My conclusion was that this might be a bug in strict mode code, and
disabled it.

Activity orientation changes are processed within a single message loop
heartbeat, so it's entirely possible that the lifecycles of both activity
instances overlap.

-- K