Ran into the same issue earlier but found a good working sample here:
http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/ApiDemos/src/com/example/android/apis/app/ActionBarDisplayOptions.html

Sample code:
ActionBar ab = getActionBar();

 ab.setCustomView(customView,
newActionBar.LayoutParams(LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT,
LayoutParams.MATCH_PARENT));
ab.setDisplayOptions(ActionBar.DISPLAY_SHOW_CUSTOM);

Hope it helps!