Really hoping this is something that can happen soon.  Or even being able
to "gift" an app in the worst case.  I've ported an app to iOS and being
able to provide up to 50 promotional copies per release is how they do
things.  It's pretty awesome to be able to give your work to fellow
developers, or relatives who otherwise would have zero use for it.  This is
something that hurts Android to a degree.  It's pretty awkward if not
impossible with Android, for the reasons you state below.

Market team, please?  Something similar came up during last year's Google
I/O fireside chat, hopefully by now they will be at least considering it?