Thanks for the reply, I appreciate any help on this.  I do understand
that the emulator doesn't use the machine's host file and that Android
has its own read-only /etc/hosts file.  I'm looking for an easier way
to redirect google.com to my own fusion server that doesn't involve
setting up a private DNS and using the -dns-server flag.  Host files
obviously make this simple.  In pre r1&r2 you could adb push your own
hosts file.  This was obviously patched.  So is the only solution to
set up my own DNS?  Has to be an easier way.

Thanks,

Nick