> There should be an error message appearing to the right of the "Bad
> notification for startForeground:" portion of your message, based upon
> the source code that I am reading. Are you sure there is nothing
> there? Posting the entire stack trace is considered a fairly
> conventional step when you seek assistance for issues like this.

Thanks for your response Mark. The rest of the stack trace is:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: contentIntent required:
pkg=com.brandall.nutter id=1079820303
notification=Notification(vibrate=null,sound=null,defaults=0x0,flags=0x60)

There's nothing else relevant in the output.

> Also, have you tried switching to Notification.Builder or
> NotificationCompat.Builder?

I'm targeting 2.2, so couldn't use Notification.Builder. Thank you for
pointing out the Compat builder, I can't believe I hadn't come across that
anywhere in my many hours of trying to resolve this...I'll try it.

> "com.android.settings.TTS_SETTINGS" is not part of the Android SDK,
> near as I can tell, so you should not be using it in the first place.
> [SNIP]

 It is fairly safe to
> assume that not all devices will offer an activity for this
> undocumented and unsupported action.
>
> Then, and only then, file an issue on http://b.android.com.

Point taken thanks - I should have clarified that I'd tried a null activity
as well as an activity to open my application and eventually the TTS
Settings. In all cases successful for 99% of my users. The remaining 1%, no
joy...

Thanks for the link.