To my knowledge there is no standardized solution available for Android out
of the box. There is usually also no standardized email app available on
all devices. You can get around that problem by taking an Open Source email
client like K-9 and adapting it for your needs. That way you could even use
the very same XML file you are talking about for setting up accounts.