The stock email app has a content provider that can be observed.

Not sure if it's exported though, or what the required permissions are, if
any. Check the sources.

For gmail, some info used to be available, then was deliberay blocked,
finally it seems like it's open again.

The best people to ask about this are the creators of third party message
counter / notification widgets. Try xda-developers, perhaps?