Hello all, I've recently been trying to teach myself how to develop apps
for Android and for the most part its going well.
However I happen to have stumbled upon an irritating problem for which I
cannot find a solution on the web.

The quality of the images I am displaying in the emulator and device is
very poor, as if the image is being compressed at build time.
I have tried setting various options in the BitmapFactory.Options class
though to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this kind of problem before
and could let me know what I'm doing
wrong.<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QgEC9ub9JDQ/T_0EDwPC2zI/AAAAAAAAAA4/b5sv46q5Q3E/s1600/problem.png>
Seems like the banding artefacts you would see after converting an image to
a lossy compression format such as JPEG.
The image when displayed on my phone through other apps (such as the
Gallery) looks as it should, so there has to be something I can do.

I'm overriding the onDraw method and using the provided Canvas object of a
custom View class to draw my images.

Thanks.