Thanks to the geniuses of this world, on some HTC phones (in the US only it
seems), HTC
has modified the default Intent Chooser to comply with some Apple absurd
patents:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3024889/htc-one-x-evo-4g-lte-custom-android-build-apple-patent-linkify

The consequence is that the user is presented with a custom Intent Chooser
without the "Use by default for this action check box".

It also has some side effect:

I'm using this code to get the default video player app if any:

        Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
        intent.setDataAndType(Uri.parse("http://1.2.3.4/video.avi";),
"video/*");
        ResolveInfo resolveInfo =
context.getPackageManager().resolveActivity(intent,
PackageManager.MATCH_DEFAULT_ONLY);

It works fine on all device but when that HtcLinkifyDispatcher.apk is
installed, above resolveInfo will point to HtcLinkifyDispatcher itself
which when launched, display the custom HTC intent chooser.
This makes knowing the default app for video impossible to know as this
damn thing hooked the system.

As anyone dealt with this and found a workaround, or should I say to my
users to live with it (always seeing the HTC app chooser when clicking a
video in that case), or to root
their phone to uninstall the damn APK ?

I would test this myself but the APK seems to be only installable on HTC
devices as it uses android:sharedUserId="android.uid.system"

Many thanks to Apple and HTC for this mess :p.