Besides debugging, there are a number of other things that are very useful
to users that you can do with log access.  One of these, is apps that
provide special per-app settings and hence need to know which app is
currently running.  Here are some examples:

1. The SmartApp Protector app (and others like it) password-locks
particular applications to prevent children from accessing them.  It needs
to read logs to pop up its window on top of a launching app.  This is a
very useful product to parents who want their kids to be able to
occasionally play games on their phones but not do other things, and has
5-10 million downloads.

2. My not yet officially released VolumeSwipe for the Kindle Fire--which
lacks volume buttons--that enables a portion of the screen as a volume
slider, but only in some media apps, so it doesn't get in the way where
it's not needed.  This app needs to monitor which activity is being
launched to turn the slider on/off.

3. My not yet officially released PerApp which lets you lock orientation on
a per-app basis (there are other apps for this, too), as well as adjust
volume boost and screen time-out on a per-app basis.

4. Some users, including myself, annoyed by the standard way Android
devices do orientation switching--for my usage patterns, the orientation
switches too often.  I like to be able to hold the phone at all sorts of
angles without it switching orientation, but yet have the ability to switch
it easily.  I have some test code on my phone which overrides the default
orientation switching, so that it only switches if the phone is
affirmatively held in an upright position.  But the code needs to know
which app is running, because we don't want to override the switching in
apps that don't allow any orientation switching.

5. There is a Tasker plugin to detect app launch.  This enables many, many
useful things.  For instance, suppose some game has annoying startup
sounds.  It can be quite useful to a user to set Tasker to kill the media
volume whenever that game starts.

6. On devices where there is an API to change fonts, it could be VERY
useful to change font face and/or size on a per-app basis.  On my PalmOS
devices, I could do this with my FontSmoother app, and it was very
convenient.

These kinds of things can provide a lot of value to users, and disabling
log access forces users to have to root their devices to do these things.
 The more that permissions like READ_LOGS are restricted in new OS
versions, the more motivation users have to root their devices, with
consequent much more serious security problems, in order to do cool things.
 The millions of SmartApp Protector users might choose to delay upgrading
to a JB device if they hear this app doesn't work on JB.

I realize it's probably too late for READ_LOGS.  But maybe some better
documented alternative can be added for apps that need to detect app launch.