@Dan

I have a new MacBook Pro which I took up to Mountain Lion before installing
any SDKs.  Using an emulator for 2.3.3 and 4.1.  So far it seems responsive
and updating/re-running the app shows the new stuff I expect.  There seem
to be three ways to install the ADT

- HomeBrew
- Unzip it from the DL site
- Eclipse Market Install (I ended up using Eclipse J2EE/Web because the
Classic had errors when following the documented update link and rather
than play install-the-dependencies-game with Eclipse I took the easy way
out).

I used Eclipse Market and you can tell it where to put the ADT so you
command line it.  My only issue right now is I can work with emulators but
adb doesn't list my actual phone when attached.

I hope this might give you some idea of what to try.