Another argument against including the database in the APK is that you save
a considerable amount of storage memory. On some devices internal storage
is very small - to the point where users have to remove one application to
install another one - and if you include the database in the APK you
actually end up wasting the space twice (since you cannot write to the APK
and have to create a working copy of the database). Remember that not all
Android devices can install APKs to external storage.

What you could do is include only a fraction of the data in the APK, a sort
of teaser,  and then let the user update the database when needed.