Victor,
I am not entirely sure. But I can suggest a couple of experiments to
debug. May be inheriting a View directly is too simplisitic. Try
inheriting a TextView first. And if it works then you can look at what
other base methods of the "View" you will need to inherit.

Take a look at this item from the docs

http://developer.android.com/training/custom-views/custom-drawing.html

to see what other methods you need to override.

Also if you are intending to use some custom attributes you may want
to look at some detailed notes I have gathered at

http://satyakomatineni.com/item/4169

This goes into how attrs.xml and declare styleables work.

Also let me know what you find.
Thanks
Satya
http://satyakomatineni.com/android/training