Thesalan -

Calling setLayerType() on just the View will work, but you have to do it on
the correct view.  In this case, the issue that doesn't work with hardware
acceleration is the parent ViewGroup clipping its children, so the
PagerContainer in the example is the view that you need to call it on, not
the ViewPager itself.  If you modify PagerContainer.java in the gist like
so:

    private void init() {
        setClipChildren(false);
        setLayerType(View.LAYER_TYPE_SOFTWARE, null);
    }

You should be able to enable hardware acceleration in your manifest and the
pager code will still work as expected.  I will update the gist example
when I have a spare moment with some discussion, and I have starred the
issue Mark created (you should do the same).

Cheers,
Dave Smith
@devunwired