I've experienced the same problem while attempting a test cycle.
My original post is here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/android-developers/android$20support$20jar/android-developers/sotIalKQTUQ/2x-O9BczHjgJ

I've determined that the support jar is correctly included to the APK,
and is also available on the class-path of the test APK.
However, a problem appears whenever an instrumentation test is attempted
against a FragmentActivity.
In my case, that's GDActivity to be specific (a greendroid library).

I've downloaded the git source code, and i'm busy investigating why the
Instrumentation test initialization fails.
So far, I think it might be that the test runner isn't using the correct
class loader ... but il have to do a further check on that one.

-Michael