Maybe we should ask why developers have been using notification ads instead
of blaming them for it. The purchase rate is still very low on Google play
compared with Apple appstore. Everyone that I talked to last year said that
the only way of getting any real revenue from Android apps is advertising.
Some content types, like Live wallpapers are not suitable for banner ads.
This left the developers with no other monetizing options than notification
ads and app icons.

It seems however that push ads and app icons will not be allowed after
31/8, so we will see what happens then. You should however not blame the
developers for notification ads!